Saturday, November 22, 2008

Round 2 of Chemo

I (Shannon) was away just as Shari was completing Round 2 of her Chemotherapy treatment, so here is a recap of her experience in her own words. This is a post of an email that Shari sent to update friends and family on her status.
---------------------------------------
Dearest Friends and Family,

I hope this email finds you all well. I appreciate all the emails, blog responses and phone calls that I have been receiving. The love and support that has rallied around me and my family has been unbelievable and the word of Thank You sometimes just doesn't seem like enough. So without knowing what else to say, Thank you from the bottom of my heart. We are so grateful.

I decided to write to everyone now that I have completed Round 2 of my Chemotherapy Treatment. Shannon is away for a couple of days and I thought that I would like to send out an email update myself. I will ask her to add this to my blog as well just in case I miss anyone. Also a special Thank You to Shannon for updating my blog and keeping everyone informed. Just in case you need the blog address again it is www.daringtoshare.blogspot.com

Update on the port that was implanted two weeks ago, it seems to be adapting to my body very nicely. There is still a little discomfort but on the most part it is healing very well.

Light to the targeted therapy (oral meds), Nexavar, and the ongoing rash reaction that I have been having. The reaction was so bad that we held the meds for 7 days and restarted this past Wednesday evening dose only and I had another reaction, so we decided to hold it again. We reevaluate the situation at my appointment on Friday and decided to restart at a much lower dose so that my body can adapt to it more gracefully. I had been taking 2 pills 2 times a day and now I will be taking 1 pill a day. Wait for my body to adjust and try to add more. I started last night and it seems that I have not had any reaction. So far so good.

So yesterdays treatment was unbelievable. Since I now have a port there was no accessing my veins for an IV, it would be my first experience accessing the port instead. I was a little nervous of the unknown but was very excited as well for not having to use my veins. My dear friend Jann, lovely Alice and a surprise visitor Leah, the best buddy anyone could have from my DSS class were all present with me. The nurse got all her stuff ready, draped me, cleaned me all up and said "OK, take in a deep breath and exhale and I will insert the needle." I said OK please wait one minute and I took in a cleansing breath and said "OK now I am ready". She said again, "Take in a breathe, blow it out, here we go, OK all done." I said, "All done, that's it." She said "Yep that's it." And then I screeched, "That's it, all done, yea!!!!" I was so happy. It was so easy, and I feel so blessed. The whole time that the infusion was going in I felt nothing. It was terrific.

The whole day takes a really long time but for some reason yesterday didn't seem as long. I still got high as a kite and felt a little woozy and high leaving the hospital but I felt great. I eat lunch, rested and had great conversation with friends. What more could anyone ask for.

Today, I feel a little under the weather. A little nauseous, a little tired, and a little weak. But all in all I am fine. The next couple of days will be more challenging for me and then I will start to feel a little better. By week 3 I will have my energy back and feel like me again, just in time to start again.

This week my dear friend (my wife) Max or Crazy Aunt Max, that some kids call her, is here with us from Boston to take care of me, support Tom and care for Daria as well. We are so grateful to her for being here with us and loving us just the way that she does. Thank you Max for making it possible to be her with me this week and for just being you.

Lastly, if you would please continue to hold my vision with me that I am "The Miracle". I am holding for the disease to shrink and be gone from my body completely. Please continue to see me strong, healthy and vibrant as I continue on my journey of complete health.

Thank you for being apart of my life. I feel so grateful and blessed.
God Bless us all.
Loving,
Shari

No comments: